There are always plenty of opportunities to participate in local mission work at the General Assembly!
Assembly organizers are still planning and arranging more mission work for Indianapolis. A tentative list of projects is provided.
Please continue checking back for updates and changes. (portions updated 2/18/17)
Inside the Convention Center
Habitat for Humanity Panel Build
- Disciples will actually build a home or at least the frame of a home inside the Convention Center Hall A which will then be hauled to a location for construction. Those desiring to stick around Indy for a longer period could help with the onsite construction as well.
- Must be 16 years old or older
- No materials or tools needed as Habitat will furnish all
- Approximately 130 volunteers divided into several shifts
- Work scheduled for Tuesday, July 11.
- Set up crew – 7-7:30 am
- Panel build check in – 7-11 am
- Nail captain – 7:15 am until complete
- Panel build crew, Shift 1 – 7:30-9:30 am
- Panel build crew, Shift 2 – 9-11 am
- Panel build crew, Shift 3 – 10:30 am-12:30 pm
- Sign up for a slot (updated 2/3/17)
Peyton Manning Children Hospital Project
- Making hero capes for children and parents in the NICU and PICU units
- No age limit but supervision for younger volunteers
- A link will be provided to register to do this volunteer project (updated 1/23/17)
- People of all ages may volunteer
- This project will be an ongoing project during the General Assembly near Hall A in the Mission Area
Indiana Blood Center
- Monday, July 10, and Tuesday, July 11, from 11 a.m. until 4 p.m.
- Please note: Donors will need a picture ID, make sure to have eaten and hydrated before donation. If you have questions about eligibility to donate, call the Indiana Blood Center at (317)916-5150 and speak to a Donor Specialist.
- All ages welcomed but a release is necessary for minors.
- Walk-ups welcome
- Register for Monday | Register for Tuesday (updated 2/6/17)
Volunteers will be knitting hats Monday – Wednesday. Check back for further updates on recipients, times and more. (updated 2/3/17)
Bread for the World Advocacy Project
Send a handwritten letter to congressional representatives about hunger issues. Stationery and examples will be available. More details to come. (updated 2/3/17)
Outside the Convention Center
Gleaners Food Bank
- The major food bank for Indiana
- All minors must be supervised
- Various tasks
- Monday, July 10, with 2 shifts.
Growing Places Indy
- Community Gardening
- All ages welcomed. Minors must have supervision
- No tools or equipment needed as all will be furnished
- Various tasks from painting to harvesting to weeding plus education about sustainable agriculture
Cost per volunteer
- There is NO direct cost to volunteer as the committee has resourced to provide the cost of doing the project that need funding.
- Mission Servant T-shirts are $10.00. Order here
For more information or if you have question please contact: Rev. Brooks Barrick, Chair of the Local Mission Committee at Reved2@hotmail.com | 317-847-1695
- Weaving blankets for clients at Horizon House, a day center with supportive services for people experiencing homelessness (partnership with Week of Compassion and Division of Overseas Ministries)
For more information, you may contact Rev. Brooks Barrick.